Thursday, September 28, 2023

A First Experience - First Class on an Airplane

A few years ago, either February 2018 or 2020, Jim and I were seated near the back of the American Airlines plane flying from Boston to Pittsburgh. The flight attendants needed to rebalance the plane. Since Jim reads on the plane and rarely speaks, I volunteered to go to the front. And so, I was placed in First Class. I should stress that the other reason this was no big deal was that I go get the car while Jim retrieves the luggage. So my getting off the plane sooner was really win for both of us. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

Back in the day when you could visit friends in First Class, I sat with Kurt Baty discussing ancient coins while his wife Michelle went into coach to visit some of her friends. In the 20 years since, mere coach-fliers couldn’t even visit first to get to a free rest room.

The First Class seats were definitely more comfortable and roomy. The flight attendant said I’d get a drink once we’d reached cruising altitude.

First Class had its own magazine - Celebrated Living, which talked more about renting chalets in France than buying steak dinners or plastic surgery in Texas.

I was put in the single seat side and had 2 lights!!

But, really, only one was necessary.

At cruising altitude, I had a free glass of white wine in a glass (no champagne but it is just a 50 minute flight) and a selection of snacks. I chose the chocolate-covered dried fruit since you could always get popcorn in coach. Later had some rose....but it was rose. Not too expensive since it was free.

The flight attendant was very nice. I don’t fly that often and don’t have any horror stories. Once she made sure we had enough drinks and snacks, she went back to help out in coach.

Turbulence, however, felt the same in First Class as it did back in coach.

So I’ve had my first time in First Class. Given that it took me nearly 44 years of flying to get here, it’s unlikely I will ever do it again (we don’t fly enough to have status on airlines; we find hotel status much more useful). I would suggest that, on those rare times when First Class isn’t completely full, that airlines always find a way to fill it with curious coach fliers.