Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Support the Science2008 Presidential Debate, Set for April 18 in Philadelphia

I was an early supporter of ScienceDebate 2008, when it was just a twinkle in The Intersection's eye. While I'm not a scientist or a science blogger per-se, I've long been fascinated by science, blog about it occasionally, and find our country's slide towards the endarkenment quite depressing.

Through the hard work of Science Debate 2008, they've reserved space in Philadelphia and have invited the major presidential candidates. Great job, folks!

We don't know if any of the major candidates will show up, but we do know they've all been invited.

While "big voices" (like The New York Times) have urged this science debate, I felt more small voices would help too. So, I sent the following E-mail to Clinton and Obama today:

My E-mail to the Clinton Campaign:


Subject: I Sincerely Hope You Accept the Proposal to Participate in the ScienceDate2008


Your campaign was the first campaign to talk about the importance of good, unbiased science in government. Please help show America that you are willing to debate the important issues of science with Barack Obama (I'm not holding my breath that any Republican candidates will show up - we know how they feel about science!).

Sincerely,


Laurie D. T. Mann
McDonald, PA

PS: I am pretty sure I will vote for you in the Pennsylvania primary which follows this debate, partially because you indicated earlier in your campaign that you were taking science seriously. I want to believe that you still do!


*********************************


My E-mail to the Obama Campaign


Please Accept the Challenge to Debate Hillary Clinton in Philadelphia on April 18th on the Issues of Science


Your campaign hasn't talked too much about the importance of good, unbiased science in governmental-decision-making - Clinton's has. Please help show America that you are willing to debate the important issues of science with Hillary Clinton (I'm not holding my breath that any Republican candidates will show up - we know how they feel about science!).


Sincerely,


Laurie D. T. Mann
McDonald, PA

PS: I am pretty sure I will vote for Hillary Clinton in the Pennsylvania primary which follows this debate, partially because she indicated early in her campaign that she was taking science seriously. While I'm glad your campaign has thought about global warming and the need for energy independence, we need a pro-science president. Frankly, most European countries, Japan and Brazil have more pro-science governments than America's current government.