Monday, May 06, 2002

Today, I'm Ashamed to Be an American...

I find the unilateral actions of our government, particularly under the Bush administration, to be an embarassment. But today's decision to renounce obligations to the World court goes beyond the embarassment I've felt over the last 18 months. I'm genuinely ashamed.

How can we encourage renegade nations to listen to world sanctions when we won't? This could lead to isolationism during a time in world history when isolationism is particularly dangerous.

I wish President Bush and his team would come to their collective senses, but I do not see it happening any time soon.

Oh, and I've just found out that this president does not have a public E-mail address. E-mail to bush@whitehouse.gov bounces, and when you visit the Web site, the contact page does not include an E-mail address. This is particularly interesting when you consider that, over the fall, many people were praising what a vital link to the public E-mail was when everyone was afraid of traditional snail in the wake of the anthrax panic.