Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sleep Schedule for an Insomniac

This is a little extreme even for me, but here's what happened last night:
  • 10:45: Get into bed, turn on House Hunters
  • 10:50: Fall asleep (I was tired, but not that tired)
  • 10:59: Wake up, watch the news
  • 11:15: Fall asleep
  • 11:34: Wake up, feel wide awake, consider watching Jimmy Kimmel
  • 11:36: Fall asleep
  • 11:55: Wake up, turn off the TV
    Toss and turn for at least 20 minutes (yes, I know they tell you not to have a TV in your bedroom, but TV sometimes helps me sleep)
    Jim gets into bed sometime after this, but he doesn't wake me up.
  • 1:00: Wake up
  • 1:10: Fell back to sleep
  • 2:20: Wake up. I might have fallen back to sleep quickly except Jim has a cold and he was breathing very noisly. Tried various sleep positions, counting things, any other quiet trick I could think of. Nada. Wide awake.
  • 3:20: Got out of bed, went to the guest room, started reading The Signal and the Noise (great first chapter, too much baseball in the second but I know Nate Silver loves baseball)
  • 4:30: Decided I was tired enough to go to sleep, so I put the book down and turned off the light
  • 4:50ish: Fell asleep
  • 6ish: Wake up after having an odd dream that I now can't remember
  • 6:10ish: Fell back to sleep
  • 7:04: Wake up, went downstairs

So, I was in bed for a little over 8 hours, and I slept about 5 hours of that. Usually, I'm in bed for under 6 hours. Have had 3 nights in a row of 5 hours of sleep, but this was the most disrupted sleep night I've had in a couple of weeks.